The writer’s over at US Pro Cycling News (myself included) will be doing daily recaps of both the Giro d’Italia and the Tour of California.
In a slightly surprising turn of events, race favorite Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-Sungard) made a huge move today, attacking on Mt. Etna in the last 5km. His attack allowed him to take the stage and put on the pink jersey. Read Peter Alvelais’ recap.
Top 5 Stage results
- Alberto Contador SPA (Saxo Bank Sungard)
- Jose Rujano VEN (Androni Giocattoli)
- Stefano Garzelli ITA (Acqua & Sapone)
- Vincenzo Nibali ITA (Liquigas-Cannondale)
- Roman Kreuziger CZE (Astana)
- Alberto Contador
- Kanstantsin Sivtsov BLR (HTC-Highroad) at 59 sec
- Christophe Le Mevel FRA (Garmin-Cervelo) at 1:19
- Vincenzo Nibali ITA (Liquigas-Cannondale) at 1:21
- Michele Scarponi ITA (Lampre-ISD) at 1:28