The writers over at US Pro Cycling News (myself included) will be doing daily recaps of both the Giro d’Italia and the Tour of California.
The queen stage of the Tour of California happened today, and boy, did it deliver. Once the race reached Mt. Baldy, a high pace and attacks from the field shattered the peloton and attacks in the front shattered the breakaway. Ultimately, Chris Horner and Levi Leipheimer were the only breakaway riders able to maintain a pace up the mountain and crossed the line together. With this stage, Horner solidified and secured his lead, with Danielson now over 2 minutes behind him. Check out Fitzalan’s recap!
Top 5 Stage results
- Levi Leipheimer USA (RadioShack)
- Chris Horner USA (RadioShack)
- Laurens Ten Dam NED (Rabobank) at 43 sec
- Tom Danielson USA (Garmin-Cervelo) at 1:01
- Steve Morabito SWI (BMC) at 1:21
- Chris Horner
- Levi Leipheimer at 38 sec
- Tom Danielson at 2:45
- Christian Vande Velde USA (Garmin-Cervelo) at 3:18
- Tejay Van Garderen USA (HTC-Highroad) at 3:23